Graduate Student Wellness Guide

As a grad student, where do I go for mental health and counseling services?

As a registered student at UC Berkeley, all undergraduate and graduate students are eligible for mental health and counseling and psychological services regardless of insurance coverage. Areas of focus are academic success, life management (relationships, coping with personal crisis, etc), career and life planning, personal growth and development. For non emergencies, please contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at:

2222 Bancroft Way #4300
Berkeley, CA 94720
Third floor of the Tang Center
Tel: (510) 642-9494
Fax: (510) 642-2368

Counseling after-hours support line:  (855) 817-5667

CAPS satellite offices are located at the following locations:

What services are out there specifically for graduate students?

The Career Center sponsors workshops specifically for graduate students and offers Ph.D. career counseling services by appointment. University and Health services offers support groups and individual support for graduate students. All of this information can be found here.

Family friendly benefits

For family friendly benefits including need-based award that can be used for housing, health insurance, childcare, and/or fee and tuition costs, please visit this link.

As a GSI where do I go in order to refer one of my students to mental health services?

Connecting a student to counseling:

  • The first step is to look for signs!
  • If signs exist, encourage the student to call CAPS at (510) 642-9494 or visit the third floor of the Tang Center to begin counseling. Counseling is available for all registered students. If the student is not open to counseling, call CAPS to consult with a counselor.