Become a Delegate
According to the GA Charter, every academic unit (department, group, or program) is allowed one Delegate per every hundred graduate students or fraction thereof in the academic unit.
- View the updated Delegate Directory to see how many Delegates your academic unit can have.
- If you do not see your academic unit listed, please email the Internal Vice President.
Interested in becoming a Delegate for the 2021-2022 Academic School year?
Reach out to your department’s Graduate Student Affairs Officer (GSAO) to learn about your department’s nomination or election process for becoming a GA Delegate. You can also view the current Delegate Directory to reach out to current delegates in your department. More information will be posted to this page for steps to become a delegate at the start of the fall semester. Please email the Internal Vice President with any questions.
For the 2021-2022 Academic School year, please complete these steps to become a Delegate:
- Fill out the department approval form and have your head departmental graduate student registered organization (GRSO) or GSAO, department chair sign-it
- Note: there will be two ways to submit this form. 1) Attach it to the Delegate Certification form (below) or 2) Email it to email@example.com with the subject [Department Delegate Approval From – YOUR DEPARTMENT]
- Please fill out the 2021-2022 Delegate Certification Form. You will be notified of your application’s status within two weeks of its submission.
- Send an Email Announcement to students in your department (ask your GSAO for help if you don’t have a departmental student email list)
- If your department has multiple delegates, you can coordinate together to send one email.
- Read the GA Zoom Guide [Updated August 2020]
- Join the GA Delegate Slack Workspace
- REQUIRED: please set your slack name as follows: First name, Last name, Department, Position, Preferred Pronouns
- Example: Liz Lawler, Vision Science delegate, (she/her/hers)
- [Optional] Sign up for the Delegate Mentorship Program Pilot!
- This year we’ll be piloting out a GA delegate buddy system to match new delegates with returning delegates to show them the ropes and be a resource. Mentor/mentee delegate matches will depend on the number of folks that sign up.
- New Delegates are required to attend a New Delegate Training Session in August or September. The first Delegate Training will be held September 2nd, at 5:30 pm over Zoom. Please RSVP by emailing the Internal Vice President (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The GA uses Parliamentary Procedure/ Robert’s Rules of Order for meetings. Please check out our GA Delegates Guide to Robert’s Rules for helpful information!
Please contact email@example.com for questions about any of these steps!
Delegate Assembly meetings are the first Thursday of every month, with the exception of September. Meetings begin at 5:30pm. During the 2020-2021 Academic year, the GA meetings will be held remotely over zoom; registration ahead of time is required. Meeting dates for the 2020-2021 term are:
- September 2nd
- October 7th
- November 4th
- December 2nd
- February 2nd
- March 5th
- April 2nd
- May 7th
For more information about the structure of the Graduate Assembly or the responsibilities of a GA Delegate, please look through our New Delegate Training Presentation or email firstname.lastname@example.org.