Notable changes from 2021-2022 policies:
- Incorporate SU Finance and LEAD Center process changes
- Do away with distinction on in-person/virtual/hybrid events and make the cap for food expenses per UCB student a uniform $20
- Replace language restricting GRSO retreats and academic unit exclusive event with “events that are not open to and advertised to all graduate students”
- Make all RSO allocations open to appeal by RSOs
- Professional Development Award can be utilized for ANY professional development, and it would be up to the applicant to justify how the funds would contribute to their professional development
- Professional Development Award and Graduate Student Parent Travel Award can be utilized up to a per-student maximum of $900 during a student’s time in a particular degree
- Professional Development applications to be accepted on a rolling basis, with decisions by the first week of the month following application submission
- DEI applications for non-RSO student organizations to be accepted on a rolling basis, with decisions after the GA Delegates meeting following application submission
- Replace GMER, Grants, Publications and Contingency with a single GRSO Funding category with monthly deadlines and a cap of $1200 per round that provides funding which can be used till the end of the academic year
- Evaluations of monthly funding applications will take into account the RSO’s funds allocation and utilization to date
Changing Your Approved Budget
The Funding Allocation Report approvals are based on the information provided in your original funding application. Therefore, the money allocated to your group must be spent on items outlined in your original budget. If your group makes changes that deviate from your funding application, you are changing your approved budget. Below are types of budget change requests:
- Change in the items purchased for your event, or a change in the amount spent on items.
- Change in the date of the event, if and only if it would fall outside the approved funding timeline.
- Change in the event content (requiring different expenses than what was listed on application).
To Change the Budget of an Event: You must request approval from the Funding Chair before purchasing items that are not approved from your original funding application. The GABO/LEAD center will not reimburse your group’s expenses for any budget items changed that are not approved by the Funding Chair.
- Email the Funding Chair (email@example.com). In the subject line, write your Group Name and Round of Funding followed by “Budget Change Request”. Example: “Graduate Student Geographers Fall 2015 Round Budget Change Request.”
- The Funding Chair will review your request and respond via email within 24 hours regarding the decision. You must receive approval before spending funds.
- When filing your reimbursement, turn in the Funding Chair approval letter with your receipts.
Appealing a Funding Decision
(Note: This information has been updated June 28, 2019)
The funding appeals process is governed by the GA By-Laws (section 6.7):
Decisions of the Funding Committee to deny or limit funding to a particular Graduate Student Group may be appealed to a Funding Appeal Committee. This committee shall be convened by the Internal Vice President. The membership will consist of the Internal Vice President, the Rules Officer, the Vice President of Finance, and the Funding Officer (or one member of the Funding Committee).
Appeals must be e-mailed to the Internal Vice President no more than seven (7) calendar days after notification of the Funding Committee’s decision. Appeals must contain the specific decision being appealed and the reasons for the appeal. Appellants shall be given the opportunity to present their case in person to the Funding Appeals Committee before a decision on an appeal is made, provided the appeal is timely.
The 7 calendar days will start on the notification date listed in the funding application. Items listed below in the “What CANNOT Be Appealed” section are not eligible for the appeal process.
What CANNOT Be Appealed?
- Applications or receipts submitted after the advertised deadline dates
- Requests that do not comply with university or the GA Business Office policies
- Expenses that are not approved in the funding application (see Funding Guide section 2.e.i for expenses that are never approved).
- Events/projects that are not within the round timelines
- Budget Change requests that are not approved by the Funding Officer
- Contents of the Funding Allocation Report after 7 calendar days have passed from the notification date.
- Applications denied because of off-campus event locations.
- Contingency funding applications cannot be appealed.
The Funding Appeal Committee will meet with the applicant to discuss the merits of your case. After the meeting, the Funding Appeal Committee will make a final decision on your funding allocation. Any changes following the Funding Appeal Committee meeting will be reflected in the recommendations to the delegate body. The delegates vote at their monthly meetings on the final allocation for funding. Once the delegate’s vote, the decision is final.
You will be notified via e-mail regarding the Funding Appeal Committee’s decision.
You may not be reimbursed for any unallocated funds until you have been formally notified of the Funding Appeal Committee’s final decision.